Friday 2 September 2011

The Journey to Skye

It has been an ambition to go to Skye at some stage just to see where Great Grandad Monro came from. My Grandma (Stevens) was born Monro (in about 1888) and her Father came from Skye. According to Grandma he died young, in his 30's, and she would tell us of her early life without a Father. I don't recall much about her mother or the other family members.



Setting off from the encounter with squirrels...

Cromarty Firth, the ancestral home of the Monros.

Dornoch Catherdral. My mother always liked it here. Can't say I was that impressed.


After staying in Dornoch at the must unfriendly campsite I have visited I set off across country and travelled along StrathCarron. The reflections were fabulous.


Can you see the join!

Loch Carron and a stop for lunch

By the side of the road there was a snack van. They were doing teas and bacon butties and Queenie Sarnies. Fresh from the Loch..no contest!

Skye jumps into the view across the Kyle of Lochalsh

But first a little detour to Eileen Donan Castle. Very famous view.

Returning towards Skye there is a place called Butec, and they have some little boats. I know just what that is all about but I can't tell you about it.


But first impressions of Skye are angry....

But arriving at Port-ree the harbour is quaint. The little buildings in blue on the right do fabulous fish and chips....and haddock, not cod, proper job!
So Skye at last, after over 50 years of waiting.
End of post.



No comments: