Thursday 3 February 2011

Ancestral Home

It is a fact that I am the first of all our family to earn the qualifications at school, and to graduate from university. This was at the time of Harold Wilson's 'white heat of technology' but it was still at a time when children were screened on ability, and fortunately I managed to get into Grammar School where the education was first class.
So with all that I live the lifestyle in the City of Wells.
Wells Cathedral in the January sunshine

I live here with all that goes with it

I walked the dog around the Bishop's Palace and they have drained the moat for maintenance.  Since the Bishop of Bath and Wells is a member of the House of Lords I hope he hasn't claimed this activity on his expenses!

Must have been some burglar protection to build a moat to keep the locals away!

I had to go North on Family business. I topped the tank at Tesco in Shepton Mallet. Wow! a tankful costs nearly £100! That is over £6 per gallon!

The Lake District. This is the view from Kirkby in Furness of the Coniston Range in week January sunshine

Whilst I went to University my ancestors were wood workers. My great uncle made the altar rails for Cartmel Priory.
They look pretty simple but the quality of the cut and finish is exquisite.

The same uncle made the Altar Cloth Chest, which is again extraordinary in application and detail.
I am pretty handy with wood work tools but I would be hard pressed to make such a vast cabinet as this. 

You might have gathered that my ancestors come from Cartmel in Furness.  We are descended from people that lived for quite some hundreds of years in this village. But my Grandfather moved away at the time of the Great War, after he had been gassed, for work on the local railways. I and my father were born nearby in Barrow.

So my ancestors lived in the shadow of Cartmel Priory.   Is it so different today?

No comments: