Monday 7 February 2011

Serendipity

Today I was out and about dealing with small details of the equipment in my new campervan.
You might not know it but I was a car nut (like, petrolhead..but a bit more cerebral) in my youth and achieved my ambition to join a major motor vehicle manufacturer. In fact I won a scholarship from General Motors via Vauxhall Motors in Luton to undertake a Degree Student Apprenticeship. I graduated from the 5 year course in 1969.
After 18 years in the motor industry, completing as the Director of Engineering within the Cape Industries Group, and a few years earning my fortune elsewhere we found ourselves in the West Country, downsizing with our reducing family to Wells in Somerset. I took a position as operations manager of a small company producing composite mouldings. I will not tell you where this company was for reasons you will discover shortly.
Also for the last decade I have been an associate consultant to the leading engineering company in the UK, Frazer Nash Consultancy.
It so happens that the the business I had in hand today is at the same location as the factory I used to run 20+ years ago. It was quite strange going round the site where there used to be a lot of activity, and finding it a bit run down and quiet compared with the old days.

I was mouching about on the way out and saw this:
I recognised the car, remember I was a car nut and had seen these things before at Hill Climbs and Circuit Races
This is a closer view, click it to open:

What's more is the rest of them inside the works:

In all there was about 8 rare vintage Frazer Nash cars and a few other marques as well:


One of the most impressive was the 1935 entry to the Le Mans 24hr race:



Now remember that this building was my Goods Store in the mid 1980's and it now houses a rare collection of Frazer Nash cars, the birth company of my recent employer, and cars that I had known from my youth. And why did I even go back to that site after all these years, to the factory I used to manage,  what drew me back to that remote location, where I had no ordinary reason to go... Spooky or what.............








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very spooky indeed Dad

Unknown said...

Hello Malcolm, followed your directions to the blog, and will keep an eye on you and your forthcoming travels. Andy T.