Monday 28 May 2012

The Second Surprise, Montserrat

My second surprise for Catalunya is the range of mountains, the Montserrat. I didn't know about them, I didn't even think they existed, and the nearest I got to them previously was Montserrat Cabal the opera singer who duo'd with Freddy Mercury on Barcelona all those years ago.

But approaching from the South West the range is impressive and dominating 

There is a high level road that runs around the northern slopes, with spectacular views and big big drops over the edges.

The road is cut into the mountain and is enjoyed by thrill seeking motorcyclists and pedal cyclists alike 

The camera lies, it is more dominating than this.

Religious establishments abound, funny that.

Rock formations of the most unusual sort.

But I was heading north, this was the parting view.

And heading into this lot....Thunderstorms, sleet, driving rain and the temperature plummeted from 28 to 9 degrees is 20 miles. In fact I can still see snow on the Pyrenean mountains from here, where I type.

No comments: