Thursday 13 January 2011

My first new bike for 40 years

Part of the plan is to get fit and loose weight. Part of that plan is to get a bike. Some people run, some people swim, but the physical arrangements I inherited means that cycling is most suitable.
The intention is to cycle to the gym, cycle instead of using one of the cars/vans, and to take the bike on the back of the van when I set off for Europe at the end of March.
So my last bike was a handbuilt from FH Carpenter In Kingston on Thames <http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/carpenter.html>.
The eagle eyed amongst you will notice what is wrong with this bike!

My Father had his racing Carpenter commissioned in 1939 and after he gave up cycling my brother used it until he bought his own Carpenter. I was allowed to take it over but being a poor schoolboy I could only afford to use it as a fixed wheel arrangement (They call them Fixies these days but the concept is different. Our use of fixed wheel originated from Time Trial racing which was run over relatively flat terrain. Fixies these days are more urban bicycles where they have a single fixed ratio, usually with a freewheel arrangement and consequently dual brakes. Our fixed wheel configuration with no freewheel meant that the rear brake could be deleted, thus saving weight). Prior to that I had been given a Bates, again fixed wheel, by my uncle. I was relatively young (14 or so) so it was a small frame version with 26in wheels.< http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/bates.html> I rode both these bikes all over the lake district and at 16 I could ride anybody into the ground, including other wheelers on their road racers (with gears)!
When I left school at 18 I gave up my cycling, and largely all other sports. I still managed a bit of rockclimbing but that also fell away (ha!) when I moved on the university and my first job.

The cycling scene these days is immensely different and far more complex. My son who is a keen cyclist has shown me around and it has been fun. We have been to Evan's Cycles in Bristol so many times over the last few months we are on first name terms with the staff.
We agreed I need a 'Hybrid' bicycle. Not a mountain bike nor a road bike, nor even a 'tourer'.
My son and my youngest daughter both have Boardman bikes, which are superb in quality and specification.
So the list was narrowed down to:

  • Boardman Comp

  
  • Cannondale Bad Boy
  • Giant Seek

  • Charge Mixer
But there are other considerations. All the above bikes are fabulous and really are well designed and thought out. They all have a common problem. They all cost £500 to £1000 and have 'Steal Me' written all over them.
One of my requirements is to use the bike throughout Europe where I may need to leave it chained up at a tourist location. It will live mainly on the bike rack on my campervan, and all the above fancy named bikes would be targets for thieves and rogues. If most of the free cycles in Paris can get stolen then a fancy bike with 'Steal me' blinking from it would not last 5 mins.
So I finally bought this:

  •  Pinnacle Borealis 2.0:

This bike is effectively a brand championed by Evan's Cycles and whilst it is not very bling it has all the functionality of the other bikes but cost only £300 and now that I have put mudguards on it will not be quite so attractive to thieves. Don't be fooled by the modest price. This bike has Shimano gears and other high value fittings. It was in the Jan sales and the final decision was a no brainer. And if somebody nicks it it will not be the end of the world. It has an aluminium frame tough wheels and is perfect for my requirements. It also rides very well, it is light and responsive and finds muscles in my legs that have been dormant for decades!
So the next building block is now in place, I just need to get plenty of miles in hand to get back used to cycling again.
And, d'know during the daytime our local gym is full of old greyhaired retired blokes. I was hoping for younger fit birds with cheeky wriggles, wot!  





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just testing from a different URL

Sal said...

Well Dad, Hope you got good pants !!