Wednesday 11 May 2011

Enough Rocks

I have been staying in a place called Vbroska on the Island of Hvar for over a week. It is a small fishing village and quite a bit away from the touristy things that seem to go on round here. I have used the village as a base to discover the island. The village is very yachty! in that there is a fair size marina and a lot of boating/fishing things going on. But the weather has been rubbish! I am convinced that the claim that Hvar is the sunniest island in the Dalmation coast is hype just to fool us punters to going there. Of course, this time last year was brilliant! They talk to the Cornish I think.

But the estuary is lovely and the rock is pretty!

The floating flotilla sails from here. I use the word 'sail' because they usually motored over to Brac (pronounced Bratch) every day and back. Look at the rain!

The Vbroska estuary, sailing flotilla motoring as usual...


Tourist boats being prepared for the short summer season.

Looking back into the harbour from the marina.




Even the Scots are in on the fun, Sunshine from Glasgow! Wonder who owns that!
Who'da thought it? A Yacht registered in Glasgow lying in the marina in Vbroska!

But I was fed up with the cold and wet a the permanent freezing NW wind. I was spending all my time huddled up against the cold and it was not nice. I have been very surprised that even in May in Southern Europe it is BLOODY COLD!
So searching the internet I learnt that Istria was 10 deg warmer than Dalmatia. So the above pic is from the ferry from Stari Grad to Split at O' crack Sparrer's and warmer weather here we come.

Sunrise over Hvar

The ferry travels between the narrow gap between the north of Brac and Solta (Bratch and Sholta)

There was an intrepid sailor in his naval equivalent of the Honda 50 doing it at the same time...he bobbed about quite a lot crossing our wake. 

Tucked in with the local traffic, all very routine to them.

Sailing in to Split on a fine sunny (cold) morning.

The Old town is fine but Split is the second largest city in Croatia and is very busy. I headed North using the motorway. I am fed up with rock and cold and wet so I went north at the fastest pace possible. 130kph on the cruise control, 

Gawd, 26deg, can you feel the heat! Rijeka at last. Northern Adriatic and Istrian Peninsular. Sounds daft but going North gets warmer weather.
This is the first time this year I switched on the Aircon! Bring it on...
End of post

No comments: