Wednesday 18 May 2011

Time for a change!

I have left Croatia but in planning my route I had some decisions to make. I could go north and west and check out the Italian Lakes. But I am reliably informed (thank you Tina!) that there is a great similarity between the Italian and English Lake District in reality, so decided to go from Trieste south and then west. I am heading for the real Riviera, of the French variety.

This campsite is in Modena. There were 3 pitches taken, 2 of us were Brits. Had a nice chat with a lovely couple from Devon, as you do!

Guess where this is going.....

They even plant red roses by the side of the road.

Pulled up in the only parking place available. What are those red cars?

More red roses planted by the local authorities.

Why its the Museo Ferrari in Maranello. Thank you John, good suggestion for a few hours entertainment.

I was surprised at how small the old F1 racers used to be. They used to look much bigger in the books and films.

Lovely skilled workmanship

This looks a bit ordinary by today's standards but compared to my old straight 4 side-valve Bedford PC van of the same vintage this is Rocket Science! Ferrari v12 vintage 1947.

The modern version (which by regulation is a v10) I learnt that F1 engines have been using multiplate clutches and no flywheels. Interesting.

There are some displays of parts in the museum. This cylinder head looked pretty ordinary, but no doubt the PR people hope to impress the Tifosi.

Again this v8 engine block casting looked quite ordinary to me. It was probably a scrapper (still got it's sprues), so they gave it to the museum for display purposes. I used to do the same years ago when I was a motor vehicle project engineer.

The trophy wall is quite impressive..I couldn't get to feel the trophies, I have always wondered if they are those cheap chrome plated plastic things available from cobblers and such places.....ha!

And so is the display of year by year models...

This is a typical Ferrari supporter (one of the tifosi). They wear red Ferrari shirts at 90 euros a pop, fancy designer sunshades and other various tell tale stuff. Sad bleeders. I am a General Motors guy and from the inside of the motor industry these guys are quite gullible really.

The first F1 race I went to was, would you believe at Aintree in Liverpool in 1961. I remember seeing shark nose 1.5l F1 Ferraris like this. Von Trips, Phil Hill and Ritchie Ginther came in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Surprisingly all the cars at the end of use were scrapped and no original versions exist. I believe Chris Rhea has commissioned the building of a type 156 replacement. I bet Ferrari would like a full size one of these most famous models for their museum.

There are rows of engines to ooh and aah over...

There is a pretty blue Dino on display

And red Ferraris..

And Carlos Fandango versions..

One with topless engines

and topless ones for the real poseurs

Of course the gift shop....very expensive and full of Italian school children.....and a silly old b****r from England!

And the front desk of the Ferrari Theme Park

And the jelly mould outside. I think they wondered where to put it.
The entry fee is 13euro. I just wish they hadn't called it a museum, but an interesting experience anyway.
End of post.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Malcolm have been following your exploits with interest. You've certainly encountered some strange sights and as for the weather...well I feel for you especially as it continues to be fab here in Whitstable! Better luck in France.
Desmond, our motor home, being spruced up ready for our trip in 2weeks time to Black Forest.