Saturday 21 May 2011

The Route out of Italy

To get to the south of France from Modena there is only one way to go and that is to take the Autostrade to Genoa and and along the Ligurian Coast. That is fine by me because this coast, the Imperia to Cinq Terre, The Corniglia, or Italian Riviera call it what you like is quite famous and special.
But driving across the Po valley in Northern Italy is not special and reminds me of driving along the M6 around Birmingham, a bit. However the road dives down to the coast along the autostrade a padaggio into the Bisagno River valley.

Autostrade and railway intertwine with the river

Major haulage route

Perishing Planets Digby, there's two of them! (Dan Dare)
I called in the service station to give my arms a rest and look what was parked in the service station.

The owner of the other blue one (in red on the left) was a very nice German couple who were touring around and who live in Freiburg, near the Black  Forest in Germany. (Linda, look out for it, Ha!)

Turning west at the coast the scenery was nice but unremarkable.


Except when I started to see faces in the rocks I decided it was time to stop and rest for the night....

I pulled into Finale Ligure at what turns out to be the most expensive campsite so far. 35Euro! and that's without electricity!

The pool was closed (early season), except for the bullfrogs who were giving large as soon as the sun went down. rebit, rebit....

Down to the coast road as usual there were no places to stop for pics

But the traffic was appalling and it was taking forever...

So I cut back up to the autostrade

Getting warmer.....26deg....

This motorway is something else, a bit like the ones in Austria but the mountains are not as high.

Tunnels and bridges by the hundreds, but I was on my way to my target...
end of post.

No comments: