Thursday 5 May 2011

Heavenly Hvar

The weather has not been very good of late and waking up on Wednesday the wind was up and it was quite cold (like 16deg). So I decided to go for a bike ride. After all the Island of Hvar is supposed to be one of the most beautiful in the world.

Cold and Blustery......

I cycled to Jelsa, mainly because I was short of diesel and I wanted to suss out the prices and location of the filling station. It turns out that Jelsa is quite a pretty little town.

There is a generous sized harbour.

And some big pineapples, hah!

I was just tootling about when I happened across this wonderful looking restaurant.
Paradiso Restaurant, Jelsa.

Irresistible really!

The view looking one way

And the view looking the other!

They forced(!) me to have the fish special which was a mixed dish of local delicacies, mussels, grilled calamari, langoustines, and a local fish that tasted like sea bass. It was really special and the staff at the restaurant were charming and really good. OK there was loads of Bullsh*t and hype but it was done in good grace and the experience was excellent.

In fact they all turned out to wish me on my way. Thoroughly recommended, lovely people, good food and a wonderful location.

East of Jelsa are a number of beautiful coves and inlets.

There were 6 people in this bay, including me.

The island of Brac in the distance.

That water again! It almost looks as though the rocks are floating on the sea...

And the wind had dropped.


The green hill in the middle is where my campsite is located.

And the open road, nobody about but me!
And Hvar is beautiful, take my word for it.
End of post.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

looks like you're the only one on the island! so different having the place to yourself and being able to cycle without taking your life in ya hands. I suppse the greek islands were once like this.

Love the knackered old car next to the restuarant, no pomp there!

Sarah Peat said...

Good see you in the flesh !! your looking well Dad, could do with a dinner like that right now !!

Happy Peddling

Love Sal xx

Andrew said...

Hi Malcolm hows it going,have been following your journey with great interest,what great photos. A few guys at work are looking in and are very jealous, all we look at are "subs". Waiting for your next post.
little bro Andrew

Unknown said...

Hello Malcolm!

Really great to see all your photos - never been to Eastern Europe, looks like a good place to visit. Make the most of your wonderful experience, we are with you all the way.

Andrea