Sunday 15 May 2011

Istria, where the h*** is that!

Istria is that peninsular that lies between Croatia and Italy. It is supposed to be mid and gentle and the giver of wine and olive oil, and such other Bullsh88t.
In fact it is not very photogenic and it has other problems that you will find out.
But it has been said to me that very few Brits are seen around these parts. The locals like the Brits and find my presence quite pleasing. They speak quite good English but would like to see more of us (and our money, of course). In fact the restaurant where I had my Sunday Lunch expects to see 3/4 Brits a year! It has got to be said that the facilities that I have used are absolutely fabulous. OK, not 'cheap' but for less than £12-20 per night you get a big camp space, loads of washing facilities that are always spotless and modern. In fact you could eat your dinner off the floor of the toilets, they are immaculate. Tourism is a core business for the Croats and they work hard at it. For example I needed a haircut and I noticed that there was a 'Frizeur' on the last campsite. So I rocked up at 9am (on a Sunday morning) and a charming young lady, who spoke English, Italian, German, and Croatian, and lord knows what else cut my hair 'everything just a bit shorter?' with supreme professionalism for 45 Kuna, £6. The place was spotless and well equipped, and she explained the years of training she had taken. It surprised me that in the winter there was no work so the season was most important to her.


This is the entrance to the Limski Channel. Quite nice but not very accessible.

The campsites are getting a bit busier.

Typical view of the access to the sea, which is bloody freezing.

I find it quite funny that a major food retailer in Croatia should use this tag for their advertising statement.
In fact shopping here is really quite difficult and the choices are very limited. There is no meat to buy in the supermarkets and getting any protein means buying eggs. The meats are horrible processed stuff, like Spam but worse. In contrast, order a steak in a restaurant and you get a wonderful steak, really nice.

Concrete beach. Typical!

Nice limpid bays, but no sand!

No division between sea and sky....ominous, that bloody weather changing again....

But this is what Istria is all about...tourism!

The boatyard at Funtana.

Rows of small boats..

Rows of bigger boats..

And even bigger boats..

Don't think they ever go to sea much but plenty of servicing going on.

This is the local dockside canteen....cheap and cheerful....and sunny with it!

So I went off into the countryside in search of some local interest.

I found they have wheely bins too!

And some derelict buildings ripe for upgrading....

With pretty development possibilities

Contrast old and renovated

But my campsite was heavily wooded and it filled my 'van with leaves and dust and bits that needed a wash to remove.

But I was really out on the search...

AHA! found it

The local winery....

Nice one Gerda! top em up.....3 litres of Istrian best...60 Kuna (£8.00)

But it is back again, that bloody Bura, north west wind and rain!!!! It is BLOODY FREEZING again and I am P***d off with the cold and rain. I have broken out the weather gear, Anorak, big boots, wooley hat, jumper, scarf, gloves and long pants, etc Even had the van heater on full blast. I will give it 1 more day but if not better tomorrow I am off, Italy, south of France anywhere but hang about here in this freezing cold climate. Goodbye Croatia. Too cold, too rocky, too expensive.
End of post

1 comment:

Lucy said...

all the pics give the impression that its not very populated, very quiet. Sea is clear cos its cold and no traffic stiring it up.
Don't think you'll find france any cheaper, it was 6 euro for a beer at La Man! Its cold and raining here.
Love the Vino sign