Thursday 21 April 2011

Into Austria

From the region in Germany where I stayed the next step is to move on to Austria. My very first trip abroad in 1972 was through this very border crossing, but in the reverse direction. In those earlier days I was part of an expert group of vehicle engineers performing field trials and general functionability assessments that major motor manufacturers do on their products. We had just driven up from Rome on a series of hot weather running trials and were doing consumption and comparison trials on the way back to the UK. We had a fleet of 6 vehicles. The Austro-German border at Fussen is close by the famous castles in the previous post. We did not have the time for site-seeing in 1972 but I have always had the thought in the back of my mind that one day, maybe I will get the chance. Well you saw it previously, and now onwards.


This is the early morning sun at my campsite at Lechbrook am See in Germany.
From here I went south past Fussen and into Austria through numerous tunnels and valleys until the road takes up the Fern Pass.

There is not much chance of taking pics on this route. They don't seem to bother with views or parking spaces for tourists. However there is a service station next to the stunning lake (Blindsee) which is way below. Those who suffer from vertigo would not like this view in real life.

Looking the other way the mountains tower above

Again it was a set of roadworks that allowed a stationary shot of the crags. I noticed that since my previous visit 39 years ago the trees have grown and the area is much more wooded than before.

But Austria is a country of big vistas and grand views. This is the view looking towards Switzerland.

The Fern Pass comes down this valley and if you click the pic you can see the exit of the final tunnel bottom left.

I was heading east and past Innsbruck the mountains had less snow.

My destination was a campsite just outside Berchtesgaden. After parking up I went for a walk and discovered somebody's alpine hut. Pity it was so forgotten and neglected.

Higher still and the view becomes clearer. Looking down on all of this is a very famous place called the Kehlsteinhaus, or Eagles Nest. I am off to visit, as a historic site, Hitler's Bavarian Retreat high in these hills. 
end of post

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very good Blog malcolm I will be watching future posts from my new job in Singapore. Your welcome to pop in when you get that far.

Mark Bridger