Sunday 24 April 2011

The Julian Alps, Slovenia

Well I thought the Alps were the Alps and that was that. Well it turns out that there are many sub ranges of Alps and one of the most impressive is the range in Slovenia named after, would you believe Julius Caesar, the Julian Alps. In fact the highest mountain, Triglav, in the Julian Alps is built into the Slovenian culture and its trident head is a national symbol.



Here we are at Camp Bled ready for the journey north and west in search of the Julian Alps. Looking at these motorhomes which are generally long wide and high I am quite pleased with my choice of cool van, which is compact and can go places the monster motor homes cannot.



Heading towards Kransja Gora the big hills turn into serious mountains

There are no places to stop to admire the view. I had to take my chances, sorry about the power cables.

Kransjka Gora is dominated by monsters like this. These mountains, rising up to 9000ft really dominate the area, and have an immense presence. Is it me or does that look like a gorilla Ha!

To see the area by road there are very few options. In fact the only option is the Vrsic Pass, and then to travel along the Soca Valley. Heading south from Kransjka Gora is Jasna Lake which beautiful. A feature about the water hereabouts is that it is blue! Rather turquoise really and more about that later.
I was readying myself for the immense climb ahead. The Vrsic Pass has 50 hairpin bends and is quite steep. The exposure at times is hair-raising, so the 'Lonely Planet' tells me. So I was glad that my compact motor was my choice.

Phew! it was a very steep and scary lurch up to the top, snow still around.

So what is 1611m in real money? 5300ft or there abouts. I was glad to be up with only the odd scrape of the rear mudguards on the tight bends. Quite chuffed really.


But, WTF, what are the white whales doing up here? I wouldn't have believed it they sneaked up behind me. It seems too twisty and steep for these monster to get up here. 

And this isn't the big one....


Catch a look around. It was about 12deC but the wind was biting

The next stage is the way down. Anyone for vertigo? 
Quite a high sphincter factor on this route......
But before you go, cheap tatty tourist rubbish, no thanks. 

Well down in one piece.

Look what was sitting by the side of the road ready for a picture.

Down in the Soca valley at Trenta you get a brief glimpse of the big one, Triglav is the one in the middle at the back, 9400ft.

Zoom in a bit...

The sites include dinky cute waterfalls....

And real gushers like this

The Soca river is a gem

Water sports are popular 

As an engineer I am amazed with the dodgy bridges. How not to do it! 


But the water is turquoise, or emerald as the PR calls it.

Very strange, it looks like the outfall from a major chemical plant before the big cleanup. But I am assured that it is pure and clean. I even drank some and it tasted like mountain water......

So there you have it. The Julian Alps.
End of post

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't believe you've made it to Slovenia already. Looks amazing. Weather has turned colder here, and Bristol certainly has no snow. Looking forward to more pics

Tina Jackson said...

wow! I was blown away by the views round Fussen but this is amazing!