Friday 22 April 2011

Slovenia, the start


I have never been to Slovenia. I have heard of it but until recently I wouldn't have clue where it is. My old friend Andrew put me on to it because he travelled there on holiday a couple of year's ago. It lies on my route south towards Dubrovnik so I am giving it a go. Charlie recommended a visit to Bled so here we are, see what you think.


Bled is a place and it has a lake and a castle (and a campsite). The castle is perched up on a crag above the lake and originates from about 1000years ago.

I stopped for a few minutes to get my bearings and find my route.

Those funky Slovenians certainly know about 'Bikes'

Bled town is at the NW end of the lake.

Remember you saw it here first. In August your telly screens will be full of the World Rowing Championships, to be held, you guessed it on Bled Lake. Click and look at the lane markers. This guy is obviously in training for the old folks standing up zimmer sculls. All aboard.

At the south of the lake there is Camping Bled. I defy you to spot the entrance or any other signs of it. What a location!

I took my bike for the 6km ride round the lake. Here is the cycle path......

No report on Bled is complete without the famous island church on the lake. 
The temperature reached 26degC today. Bring it on!
Pity it is still chilly at night.
End of post

1 comment:

lucy said...

looks so clean, very nice - not loads of people either