Tuesday 19 April 2011

Verdun, then no more war pics

Because I was passing by I decided to go to Verdun, which was the site of the 'largest battle ever'.
It ended with French troops in mutiny and a virtual end to all offensive activities by the French Army from 1917. The burden fell to the British (Empire) and the Americans to push the Germans into surrender in 1918.
In short I sympathise with the mutineers. Ak me and I will tell you why.

Eerr, I didn't plan for frost and cold!

This is the remains of Fort Vaux at Verdun after an extended pummelling by the Germans.

Still see the craters 90 years later 

The little hatch for raising the flag! Nice place for the attackers to pour petrol and then drop a few handgrenades. (or Mustard Gas!)

Maybe the peephole will withstand a few rifle rounds

Even the cupola can withstand large hits..

But when dealt a big charge, nothing is left.

The French defenders finally surrendered after a long and pointless siege.

Inside is relatively untouched.

Calling past the French memorial at Verdun, it was closed for lunch (2hrs)

La Tranche de Bayonettes was a mystery to me. Couldn't get the point.

The forests surrounding to commemorative sites is the only good thing to come out of the whole show.

I promised not to show any more headstones. Well these are crosses! Our illustrious neighbours give their fallen a cheap cast reinforced concrete jobber. At least our Boys (and Girls) get a decent lump of Portland stone and a decent inscription.
End of post.......

2 comments:

Lucy said...

bit different to our pill box's!!!
amazing how complete some of it still is.

Unknown said...

I remember standing on the cupolas in Verdun. I was shocked at the human cost, and the Ossary. Hard terrain, and the dithering by French command - hold this fort, surrender this fort, retake this fort. No wonder they mutinied.
Great photos Malcolm!

Adam